funsec mailing list archives

RE: Black Worm Report from Pune, India

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:12:31 -0600

Valdis wrote:
I wonder if it's related to the fact that in a linux chat
room I sometimes frequent, lots of people come in and need
help installing Fedora or Ubuntu, but Indian visitors are
*heavily* skewed to "Redhat 9 won't run on my hardware", and
they are often resistant to the suggestion that they install
FC4, or CentOS 4, or RHEL 4, depending on their licensing and
stability requirements...

Seriously - anybody know why they have the big Redhat9 fixation?

I will take a stab and say it is because they are first-time Linux
users. I know RH9 was the first Linux I used. It was here at the office
(someone had the CDs, so I made a copy). Then later, I learned about
CentOS and other flavors. Of course, Fedora wasn't around when I started
but you get the idea.

-Todd