funsec mailing list archives

Re: 2002 murder suspect located via MSN Map search

From: James Kehl <shykta () dione ids pl>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 09:42:05 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:

So, even though serial murders that have "gone unsolved for a decade" are
now solved, and even though a school bombing case may have been solved, and
even though child pornographers and thieves stealing copyrighted material
have been busted, there's just something eeeeevvvviiiilllll about IPSs just
"giving away" all the "most intimate information" about you.  Even though
we have well-established rules for obtaining that evidence, and even though
the courts have established a system that, in my view, protects the
criminals *too* much.

Heh.

Apparently, in the Times' world, we shouldn't be allowed to see the
evidence of your crime unless it's laying out in plain view.

So how do you know they got the right guy?

You have heard about malware, trojans, open proxies and remote control
software?

Have the jury?

Could you explain it to them? Would they believe you?

The fact that an IP address identifies a computer and not a person is a
little bit subtler than the 100% accuracy with which a computer can be
matched would indicate... and it's in one side's interest to muddy the
distinction...

*dons tinfoil hat and boots Tor*