funsec mailing list archives

Re: FTC to Hold High-Tech Issue Hearings

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:01:12 +1300

Ken Pfeil wrote:

One of the things I found comical was Dell's Tom West defining a "legacy
system" as one that is older than October of 2004.

Perhaps the date Dell made SP2 the default build for all their new
desktop and laptop models??

Interesting really, as some manufacturers didn't ever rev the build of
the existing "in channel" designs/models and often (still) don't even
officially support SP2 for those machines, even though (at least with
laptops) many of these were still being sold toward the end of 2005
(can be quite an issue with specialty laptops).  I'm sure if you bought
a new laptop (albeit an 18-month(-plus) old design) late in 2005 you'd
not consider yourself to have a "legacy system"...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald