funsec mailing list archives

RE: Fun Case Modding

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:54:04 -0800

From:                   "Gary Funck" <gary () intrepid com>
Date sent:              Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:31:43 -0800

Perhaps, we should aim a little lower: maybe a foot warmer? <g>

My word, funsec is being uncharacteristically restrained on this one.

There was the friend who had four Vaxen in the basement.  He never turned the
furnace on.

I recall the outfit that made a fluid based cooling unit for early PC enthusiasts who
were into overclocking.  Thinking back to it, it must have been very early, since it
was rectangular.  (8086/8088s were rectangular and I know that 486s were square,
but I can't recall, offhand, when the change occured.  But I'm sure someone here
can.)  (I *think* 386's might have been rectangular: I vaguely recall their "zero-
insertion-force sockets" [remember them?] being that shape.)

I definitely remember when the Alpha first came out.  The desktop (actually
deskside) unit, at 150MHz, was blazingly fast for those days, and the FCC actually
required DEC to put metal panels on both sides of the unit to reduce EMR from
them.  The CPU radiated 30 watts of power.  A Kenner Easy-Bake oven only uses
a 20 watt bulb, so we made lots of jokes about being able to set it on the desk and
cook breakfast on it.

(Eight months later one of the DEC guys was telling me they had an Alpha
laptop.  I didn't believe him, since the original deskside machine had a cooling
stack on the chip that was the size of a motorcycle piston.  He showed me the
thing: an aluminum plate with cooling flanges on it, and that was all it needed.)

As for keeping coffee warm, I used to make a pot of tea and sit it on top of the
monitor at my workstation.  That, however, paled in comparison to the guys
from Novell, when they moved from Utah to California, and to a building between
two military installations.  The place was swimming in radio and microwave, and
they had to change all the network wiring (unshielded had worked just fine in
Utah).  They told us that you could leave your coffee on your desk and it would
stay warm for hours ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
    Your e-mail has been returned due to insufficient voltage.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade