funsec mailing list archives

Mind your Nulls and To's

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:54:10 -0500

I know you guys have probably already heard of this, but its just too
nifty to pass by:

Who's Reading Your Cell's Text Messages?

Have you ever hit "Send" on a text message on your mobile phone before
addressing it? Ever wondered where all those lost SMS text messages
go? If so, you might want to speak with Stan Bubrouski, whose cell
phone has been channeling wayward text messages from across the
country for years.

Bubrouski, a computer science major at Northeastern University in
Boston, is the proud owner of 'Null () vtext com,' an account on the
popular Verizon text messaging service that allows Internet users to
send e-mail and IM messages directly to his cell phone as SMS text
messages.

Bubrouski said he was just being clever when he signed up for a
Verizon vText account with the user name 'null,' after his parents
bought him his first mobile phone during his freshman year at
Northeastern, in 2001.

"I've been paying for it ever since," Bubrouski told eWEEK.

Bubrouski's new vText account didn't just hook him up with his
friends, it also opened the door to a blizzard of unsolicited messages
from individuals and companies that, for the last five years, have
unwittingly forwarded reams of data to his phone.