funsec mailing list archives

RE: another VX site?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:28:22 +1300

Todd Towles to Dr Solly:

I don't think so, it looks like a site that gives information
about the viruses, some 6000 of them. Either the author of
the site has been working very hard on disassemblies, or else
he's collected info from other places and copied it to his site.

His naming scheme is different, that is for sure. I-worm.Sober.A or
Email-Worm.Win32.Sober.n

That is characteristically KAV and/or BitDefender and a few others
(given the latter -- BD plus others -- copy a huge proportion of their
names straight from KAV no matter how obviously wrong/silly/etc they
are, it can be hard to tell vendors apart from such a small sampling).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald