funsec mailing list archives

Re: standards status in the industry - opinion?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:52:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Gadi Evron wrote:

And, if I get the message you're trying to give us, let's not set our
standards low anywhere else, either.  I'd love to see more effective
heuristic patterning in IDS/AV as well.  That was one of the major
battles with this WMF exploit was dealing with signatures that:

1) were too reactive
2) undercovered (sometimes, knowingly, to avoid FPs)

Well, about the AV I tend to disagree. I believe the AV simply isn't
adequate to deal with these sort of threats anymore.

I don't know of an AV that I'd want to use on my systems. The
signature-based idea that worked well 10 years ago, cannot be workable
now.

It's a good important part of the solution, it's just not THE solution.

Not all problems have a solution. Sometimes, you just learn to live with
the problem. I think that's how many users deal with viruses today. "Oh, I
seem to have gotten a virus again."