funsec mailing list archives

Re: standards status in the industry - opinion?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:35:56 +1300

Blue Boar wrote:

Whitelisting would be a huge help.

But we're a little too far down the scripting language & executable data
format path to completely solve the problem.

I disagree, but concede that solving some of our current problems will
not be easy...

For example, you can't be a standards compliant browser at this point
without supporting an executable data format.

So, you're saying that just because a bunch of morons designed
something utterly brokenly (from a security perspective) from the
outset _AND_ that much of the world "enjoys" the flexibility this
approach has allowed (or is just too damned ill-informed or otherwise
stupid to know any better), THAT informed security professionals (and
others) should not try to get such gross stupidity fixed?

Look, we did it (OK, well have helped achieve a greater level of turn-
around than many thought possible) with Microsoft and its shitty OS and
general company attitude of "Security?  What _is_ security?", so why
shouldn't we be able to get web browsers fixed by making the HTML
standard marginally sane?

And this is somewhat secondary anyway, for most/all script-based
browser exploits _still_ have to drop some or other identifiably
"executable" code (be it a binary or a file-based script or a file-
based macro or a file-based <whatever>) to do the bulk of the actual
nastiness, and the whitelisting-based, integrity enforcement will
_still_ stop the "payload" of the attack, even if their browser is
vulnerable.  With known virus scanning you have to hope like hell that
either your virus scanner has a good enough, generic enough (without
raising silly FPs) detection of the browser exploit and will stop it
(or at least alert you things have gone pear-shaped) as the bad
HTML/script is written to the local browser cache OR that it already
detects whatever it is that is dropped/further executes, etc (which
increasingly, it doesn't).

Such a whitelisting approach then _mainly_ only leaves you vulnerable
to arbitrary code execution through buffer overflows and the like and
other forms of mitigation (reducing exposed services, developer
education, improvements in compiler and runtime execution checks,
DEP/NX/etc, and so on) are available to varying degrees for those.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald