funsec mailing list archives

Re: standards status in the industry - opinion?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:40:09 +1300

Blue Boar to me:

So, you're saying that just because a bunch of morons designed
something utterly brokenly (from a security perspective) from the
outset _AND_ that much of the world "enjoys" the flexibility this
approach has allowed (or is just too damned ill-informed or otherwise
stupid to know any better), THAT informed security professionals (and
others) should not try to get such gross stupidity fixed?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try, just that you probably won't
succeed.  In my experience, you "can't" take away some feature people like.

Oh I know that, but that doesn't stop me from hoping and trying...

And this is somewhat secondary anyway, for most/all script-based
browser exploits _still_ have to drop some or other identifiably
"executable" code (be it a binary or a file-based script or a file-
based macro or a file-based <whatever>) to do the bulk of the actual
nastiness, and the whitelisting-based, integrity enforcement will
_still_ stop the "payload" of the attack, even if their browser is
vulnerable.

I believe you can simply string together whitelisted programs to do what
you like.  Things like tftp.exe and format.exe.

You obviously have far too liberal a view of whitelisting.  You don't
whitelist something just because you know (or are prepared to accept)
that it is safe.  You whitelist _only_ those program files, DLLs,
fonts, etc, etc that this user (or group of users) "needs" to do their
legitimate work, that we have licenses for, etc, etc.  Remember, I am
talking corporate use here -- you could even use a well-designed
whitelisting system to prevent use of, say, MP3 files...

With known virus scanning you have to hope like hell that
either your virus scanner has a good enough, generic enough (without
raising silly FPs) detection of the browser exploit and will stop it
(or at least alert you things have gone pear-shaped) as the bad
HTML/script is written to the local browser cache OR that it already
detects whatever it is that is dropped/further executes, etc (which
increasingly, it doesn't).

I wasn't even neccessarily talking about vulnerabilities per se.  I
don't consider enabling viruses to be a vulnerability, really.  Just a
side-effect of a general purpose OS.

I agree entirely (well, I'd the use word "function" rather than "side-
effect"...).

My point was that _if_ you use whitelisting you remove all access
points apart from vulnerability exploits, so that is the only "point of
weakness" left to beef-up and monitor for "unusual" activity.  That is
_much_ better than the current "hope someone else caught it, realized
they were infected, sussed-out what files were involved, got samples to
their AV vendor (who sent samples to your AV vendor) who then analysed
the program, addeded detection and shipped that in an update that your
AV received _BEFORE_ another copy of the bad thing made it to your
machines_.

(Of course, that such a process can still be deemed "acceptable" in
large corporate LANs, almost across the board, raises a whole other,
bigger set of questions about the competence of those that manage most
of corporate IT.  A well-designed whitelisting approach should add no
more than a few minutes per machine-class image generation (i.e. at the
initial imaging stage, not per-machine that has that image installed on
it).  It would remove 90+% of the "antivirus staff" requirement and add
a very small additional cost to patch- and change-management (but far
lower than the cost of the saved "antivirus management" staff).

Such a whitelisting approach then _mainly_ only leaves you vulnerable
to arbitrary code execution through buffer overflows and the like and
other forms of mitigation (reducing exposed services, developer
education, improvements in compiler and runtime execution checks,
DEP/NX/etc, and so on) are available to varying degrees for those.

But to your point, whitelisting executables still leaves you vulnerable
to things like core worms, and you still have to have other security
measures to deal with those problems.

Yep, but current AV is pretty much hopeless against them too, so that
is no impediment to replacing known virus scanning with "here is what
is allowed" whitelisting.  The whitelisting approach reduces your
uncertainty with respect to all file-based "unwanted code" to near
enough to zero and certainly much closer to zero than the current AV
approach (unless your IT staff are all as incompetent as the ones who
currently choose to stick with "suck it and see" AV -- hmmmm, I may
have just uncovered a flaw in this plan...  8-) ).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald