funsec mailing list archives

Re: PIN Scandal "Worst Hack Ever;" Citibank Only The Start

From: Technocrat <dj.technocrat.listmail () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:44:06 -0600

FW said:

Could anybody explain to me why this is called a "scandal"?  This
round of problems seems to be related to questionable customer
activities, and is not exactly the bank's fault.

Someones correct me here. How were the PINs accessed? Best guess?
Database hack at a customer, like OfficeMax?

PINs are included in most phishing scams...so how are they saying that
they were safe up to this point. Nothing is safe is you going around
telling some strange about it.

-Todd