funsec mailing list archives

Re: PIN Scandal "Worst Hack Ever;" Citibank Only The Start

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:50:01 +0100

* Technocrat:

FW said:

Could anybody explain to me why this is called a "scandal"?  This
round of problems seems to be related to questionable customer
activities, and is not exactly the bank's fault.

Someones correct me here. How were the PINs accessed? Best guess?
Database hack at a customer, like OfficeMax?

Based on the press articles, I tend to assume that the customers
bought something at rogue shops.  But this is pure speculation.  I
really can't connect this to ChoicePoint-like events, which most press
articles seem to do.

It's like equating cookies on the NSA web site with NSA's spying on
U.S. citizens.