funsec mailing list archives

RE: CME: A Total Failure -- Throw in the Towel

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:10:02 -0000

Were you expected the CME
numbers to be a substitute for the existing naming
conventions?  I can't speak for the CME guys, but I think
that wasn't a goal.

That wasn't my understanding either. From that point of view,
CME isn't a complete failure. But...

If I am able to determine that two
malware names refer to the same thing because they have the
same CME number, then it's a success as far as I'm concerned.

Kind of. If you can make that assumption (see below).

 I get the impression that they have't kept up with the
volume well, that would be the only failure I could see.

But maybe that's the whole point. Glut has always been a problem,
but it's a little more complicated now. Variants, subvariants,
subvariants with multiple packers, multiple malcodes with
common code, malcode that mutates as new mods become available.
Traditionally, naming has depended on exchange of samples to
establish a common code set, as has testing. But we're not in
Kansas anymore, and those models don't work.

--
David Harley
Computer Security Author & Consultant