funsec mailing list archives

RE: Oops: McAfee Update Exterminates Excel

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:17:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Larry Seltzer wrote:

If you do daily updates, you have very little time to do Quality Control.

This is why I don't think that this is the way to do antivirus.

Imagine the situation with companies like Kaspersky that do hourly updates.

Imagine people putting out software that's been tested fo less than an
hour.

Imagine people actually using an update that has been tested for less than
an hour.

The strange part to me is that McAfee does have beta definitions and I've
heard from someone who tested them that the problems were present there.
This means McAfee's QC people were truly asleep at the switch, and I'd hope
someone gets publicly fired for it.

I'm glad I'm not in that industry any more!