funsec mailing list archives

'Spycar' to test AntiSpyware

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:55:10 GMT

Not sure if Tom or Ed are on the list, but this is rather
interesting, although I couldn't find anything on the Intelli-
Guardians web site.

I look forward to seeing exactly what they have planned....

Via InfoWorld.

[snip]

Does your antispyware software really work? With security experts warning of "rogue" antispyware products that
sometimes do more harm than good, two security researchers have decided to take matters into their own hands.

They're working on a new software product, called Spycar, that will test the effectiveness of antispyware products. "We
decided the best way to do that would be to write a suite of tiny custom programs that each do a tiny spyware-like
thing," said Tom Liston, a senior security consultant with Intelguardians LLC, based in Washington, DC.

The software is being developed by Liston and Ed Skoudis, also an Intelguardians security consultant.

[snip]

More:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/03/17/76590_HNspycar_1.html

Interesting. also, that 'spycar' is a play on 'eicar'...

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net