funsec mailing list archives

RE: Ransomeware

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:40:20 +1200

Richard M. Smith wrote:

I gave a security talk in NYC this past week and brought up this ransomeware
virus.  Most people in the room hadn't heard of this kind of extortion
scheme before.  The first question I was asked was how does the perp collect
his $300 without being caught.

This doesn't take much to answer...

How do scammers working stolen identity and CC info profit from such
without getting caught?  There are basically two ways -- simply sell
the ID info (so, if caught, you are only guilty of generally
significantly lesser crimes, or at least, in practice, crimes that
generally receive significantly lesser sentences if ever caught and
brought to trial), or use a (chain of) mule(s) to make the money trail
much harder to follow (insist that at least one link in the chain does
transfers via Western Union or old-fashioned spy-story "cold drop", and
change mule trains often).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald