funsec mailing list archives

Re: Ransomeware

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:06:01 +1200

Rob to me:

I'm not sure he actually pleaded insanity (he was extradited from the
US to the UK, where he was found guilty, and he was tried in absentia
in Italy and also found guilty)

To be pedantic, the last info I had was that in the UK he was found "unfit to
plead" (basically bats in the bitstream) and therefore could not, technically, be
found guilty.

Now you say that, it rings some bells...

There was also some evidence (found in the US when he was arrested by
the FBI (?) to face the UK extradition hearing??) that the Dec 89
postal drop in the UK was possibly a "trial run" for a much larger drop
Popp was planning.

If I remember correctly the "evidence" was a 200,000 address mailing list with
similar characteristics to the 10,000 addresses used in the UK and Europe.

And, I think I recall hearing, some evidence he had been investigating
mailing rates for large mailouts in various countries.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald