funsec mailing list archives

RE: RFID World Still Reacting Strongly To Virus Research

From: "Kohlenberg, Toby" <toby.kohlenberg () intel com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:55:01 -0800

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org] On Behalf Of Nick FitzGerald
Richard M. Smith quoting:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleI
D=183700423
<<snip>>
"RFID has security challenges," Ashton admits. "This isn't
one of them."
This is a far fetched scenario requiring many improbable
security holes to
line up just so."

Funny -- that was the official line at MS until sometime around 2001
when it realized that it was not just a bad series of
coincidences that
had led to all the bad stuff we were seeing due to all those
"improbable security holes" lining up just so.

You know, I agree they are probably discounting something they should
pay attention to, but I have trouble seeing how this is different than
any other data storage device....
Sure they shouldn't trust that their RFID tags are secure, but since
when
is this something new? It just means they need to write decent
applications, what's the news about that?

toby