funsec mailing list archives

Re: RFID World Still Reacting Strongly To Virus Research

From: Lionel Ferette <lionel.ferette () belnet be>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:49:24 +0100

In the wise words of Richard M. Smith, on Saturday 18 March 2006 14:47:
[SNIP]
"With respect to the students involved, the paper as presented is rather
weak," said Kevin Ashton, ThingMagic Inc. vice president, and co-founder of
the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Auto-ID Center. "The 'real'
virus, they claim to demonstrate in the paper, is not a virus, just a
self-replicating piece of SQL
'just a self-replicating piece of SQL'... This is a nice short definition for
a virus written in SQL, in my book.

That said, I fail to be really impressed by this 'virus'. The only practical
conclusion I can come to is 'RFID content is data coming from outside the
system, and must thus be checked / filtered accordingly'. Wait... Aren't you
doing that, already? Isn't there anything like a checksum that would make the
system drop the data as erroneous? If not, the RFID industry has many more
problems to face than this kind of virus...

Lionel

--
"To understand how progress failed to make our lives easier,
please press 3"

Lionel Ferette
BELNET CERT Coordinator

Tel: +32 2 7903385                  http://cert.belnet.be/
Fax: +32 2 7903375                  PGP Key Id: 0x5662FD4B