funsec mailing list archives

RE: No Place Left to Hide on Tomorrow's Net?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:12:15 +1200

Richard M. Smith wrote:

Perhaps operating systems should generate a new random MAC address on each
reboot.  Just a thought.

And if they don't, it should be pretty easy to lash something like this
up yourself...

Don't most NIC's (or, technically, I guess, their drivers?) still
support arbitrary MAC assignment?  It was necessary in the dark, evil
days of -- ummmm, mind goes blank as I've tried to repress the
memories...   D-D-D-D-DECnet

IIRC, certain bits of DECnet (or at least, certain bits of DEC hardware
we had implementing critical pieces of our DECnet) would only talk to
MACs that started with (one of) the DEC manufacturer prefixes, so to
hook up an arbitrary PC, Mac, Sun, etc to such a DECnet config required
either that your PC, Mac, Sun etc had a DEC NIC (rare to impossible)
_or_ a NIC that could fake the MAC under s/w control (very common).

Last I looked (a few years back) all versions of Windows still
supported this functionality, but I can imagine hardware design that
would prevent it working...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald