funsec mailing list archives

Re: No Place Left to Hide on Tomorrow's Net?

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:39:08 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone know if IPv6 addresses still contain embedded MAC
addresses?

This is up to the administrator of the network, and sometimes the
machine, in question.

There are camps in the IPv6 community that strongly push for taking the
128-bit addresses and throwing away (the benefit of) half of them,
using something called an EUI64 (which is usually derived from a MAC
address in a reversible way) to assign them automatically.

However, as far as I have been able to tell, if the host and network
admin don't happen to want to do that, there is absolutely nothing that
requires it.  Indeed, nothing prevents manual assignment of addresses
which look like EUI64-based addresses but aren't, provided the network
in question uses a prefix of /64 or shorter.  For example, my house
mailhost is at 3ffe:b00:4020:300::7:0 (if it works - my v6 connectivity
has been broken recently), but if I felt like it I could have assigned
it 3ffe:b00:4020:300:000a:c2ff:fe48:119c, which looks like a MAC-based
address based on 00:0a:c2:48:11:9c, even though I have no idea whether
any machine at all has that MAC address (I invented it just now).

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca