funsec mailing list archives

Re: standards status in the industry - opinion?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:28:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, dudevanwinkle () gmail com wrote:

Gadi Evron wrote:

Well, about the AV I tend to disagree. I believe the AV simply isn't
adequate to deal with these sort of threats anymore.

It's a good important part of the solution, it's just not THE solution.

So should we need to look for badcode in memory, on HDD's, encapsulated
via ip, lighting up on fiber, flashed to bios, loaded in eprom, burned
on cd, written to floppy and read from tape. In the different protocols and

which do we need? one app per OS? one app per medium? One app per medium
pizza?

I think the resources are out there to protect your client systems from
casual (99%) of attacks, ppl just dont update them :)

No, I think we're approaching this problem entirely the wrong way, today.