funsec mailing list archives

Re: 2 critical vulns and the clock isticking..[Fwd:[EEYEB-2000801]]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:35:13 -0800

Todd Towles wrote:
Does VMWare run on Mac OS?? That would be a very useful situation. Mac
bottom level, Windows in VM.

Not at present. They have VirtualPC instead. The way VMWare works, you're running on the actual CPU, but the hardware perhiperals are virtual. Which means it needs to be an x86 CPU. That barrier is gone now, if they wish to port.

One app I really miss on OS X is IDA Pro. You can go through many hoops to get the Linux port to run, but I'm told it's way too slow to consider usable. I have heard it theorized that were it running the emulation on the x86 OS X, it would be tons faster, I hope to find out soon.

I wouldn't ever suggest moving to OS X just for security, it is a
benefit (for now), but there are enough reasons to move FROM MS to
another home desktop OS in my mind.

Having had a casual look, and being privvy to a couple of private reports about OS X vulns, it appears that they've got all the same mistakes to make that the other unixes made 10 years ago. Plus whatever problems their UI adds. So I'm not sure I'd even put it above Windows in terms of absolute number of theoretical holes.

However, I do believe that there is a lot of practical reason to run just anything besides Windows, if you want to miss a lot of the volume of attacks.

And now we can have the my-OS-is-better-than-your-OS holy war. (My first round was why my Apple ][ was better than someone's C64 or Atari 800.)

Mac would be great, if the hardware wasn't so much.

The prices are, as usual, a bit steep. However, they went for the high-end first. If you look at new almost-similar Dell, it's in the same ballpark. (This is laptops, I'm referring to.)

                                        BB