funsec mailing list archives

Re: iTunes: Apple's New Spyware and Adware Application?

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:51:20 -0000

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:08:14 -0000, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:
iTunes: Apple's New Spyware and Adware Application?

I knew there was a good reason to hate iTunes (other than the horrible interface; I think I'm the only person in the universe who doesn't like the OS X GUI and derivatives!)

To be honest I'm not surprised - Apple seem to like getting their name and stuff everywhere, cf Quicktime on Windows: you have to install iTunes along with it (though you can uninstall it separately) plus it puts a task in the registry to start up on reboot - *everytime you run it*. It's a sodding media player WTF would I want it to consume CPU cycles continuously!

dave, president of the "we hate Macs" club :-)