funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cisco, haven't we learned anything? (technician reset)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:31:40 +0200

This reminds me of Ciscogate but not for obvious reasons. That was a bad
event for everybody involved.
It reminds me of the very issue Mike Lynn discussed:
Remote exploitation for Cisco is possible, while so far Cisco disclosed
all these problems as DoS vulnerabilities.
I am not saying Cisco did that on purpose, but in THIS case they CAN set
my mind at ease.

Why don?t they?

I did not change my mind, but to be fair, I have to add:

After writing this I’ve been made aware that this product was from a company Cisco bought not so long ago. This very same issue happened before (and more than once)... in one recent example with another company Cisco bought named Riverhead.

It is true Cisco's PSIRT is one of the best to work with among vendors, even Mike Lynn said that Cisco PSIRT are some of the more decent people he worked with - "I've never had a problem with PSIRT".

It is also true that Cisco can't find out about these until after they buy the companies, still, Cisco f*cked up, more than just once or twice, and we call it. This kind of a so-called "vulnerability" should not happen, or be disclosed, continually, in this particular fashion.

Checking into new investments security-wise, especially with security products and external QA may help solve such issues in the future.

        Gadi.