funsec mailing list archives

ISC Shuts down botnet.

From: Nicholas Albright <nalbright () shadowserver org>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:14:33 -0700

{snip isc.sans.org}
The channel used to control the bots, '#-sd-bot', is using a standard command
to instruct its members to scan an IP range for a particular vulnerability.
On the other hand, if a human should connect to the host and issue a '/list'
command to find out about channels on that server, the following message is
displayed:

/list
*** Channel    Users  Topic
*** #help      1       IF YOU ARE HERE ITS BECAUSE I MIGHT HAVE INFECTED ONE
OF YOUR MACHINES, DONT WORRY NOTHING IS GONNA BE HARMED WITH THE DRONES, FOR
FURTHER INFORMATION  ON REMOVALS PLS VISIT - WWW . NORTONANTIVIRUSES . COM -
OR LEAVE A MSG KTHX.

{snip}

So he changed his topic:
-:- Topic (#help): changed by burt0n: IF YOU ARE HERE ITS BECAUSE I MIGHT HAVE
INFECTED ONE OF YOUR MACHINES, DONT WORRY NOTHING IS GONNA BE HARMED
 WITH THE DRONES, FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON REMOVALS PLS VISIT -
WWW.SYMANTEC.COM - OR LEAVE A MSG KTHX.

....however, I guess he didn't like the exposure...after a few hours:

-:- SignOff burt0n: #help (User has been permanently banned from burt0n.IRC
(#linuxsex@undernet))
-:- Connection closed from xx.43.235.xxx: Success
-:- BitchX: Servers exhausted. Restarting.

Score:  ISC 1 - Burt0n 0

:)

--
Nicholas Albright