funsec mailing list archives

Re: Anyone go to ShmooCon?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:13:39 +1300

Roland Dobbins wrote:

Which was came first, the advisory or the talk?

Dunno, because I don't know when he made his presentation at ShmooCon.

However, I _doubt_ he wrote the advisory he posted to Bugtraq _after_
he made the presentation -- he _may have_, but without any further
information about the sequence of events, _I_ doubt it.  Odds are he
had the advisory ready to post (or even queued for (roughly)
coordinated release with his presentation) before he made the
presentation though...

In any event, I guess I just don't understand why you feel it
necessary to attack Simple Nomad.  ...

I was not attacking him.

I was, however, questioning your (?) suggestion that it was "not
premeditated" and a purely "off the cuff" or "throwaway" comment.  If
he wrote it in advance of the presentation, in the advisory -- as seems
likely to me -- then his use of it in the presentation was _far_ from
your characterization.  He may have planned it to seem as if it was all
very "spur of the moment" but then those are often the most carefully
of orchestrated events.

...  He does good work, and the
community benefits from his work.

Did I say he doesn't?

And please, is there a _necessary negation_ of "he can act like a media
whore" attached to "he does good work"?

Yes -- now I am suggesting his "throwaway" use of the term may have
been less than accidental.

Do you _really_ think that old Simple _doesn't_ understand the media's
fascination with anything an "expert" (which he certainly is) tags as
"virus-like"?

C'mon...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald