funsec mailing list archives

RE: Greed, stupidity, arrogance, and small genitalia.... (a c orporate study on the bells)

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:52:00 GMT

Bear this in mind:

There is no such thing as 'Better than Best Effort' in the Internet.
In other words, in order to give some traffic 'preferrential'
treatment, someone's traffic has to be 'penalized'.

I mean, you're bound by the laws of physics -- you can't make light
travel any faster across a piece of fiber than it already does, given
DWDM, etc.

So who's traffic gets penalized? The people who don't pay them?
That's basically extortion in my book (and for what it's worth,
I wrote one on QoS). :-)

- ferg

-- "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com> wrote:

I think you might be missing the point of this. It sounds crazy and it
is...but it isn't really worded well. The teleco are going to start a
new thing where they charge big companies to attempt a performance
advantage over their opposites. Just like this example, to charge Yahoo
Inc. for the opportunity to have its search site load faster than that
of Google Inc. So Yahoo might look faster if you are on BellSouth..but
it will look normal if you are on Earthlink.

Basically they want to get in the "charging for traffic shaping"
business...that way Yahoo can pay Bellsouth a large amount of money and
Yahoo services will always load faster than Google and MSN, etc,
etc.....only going to hurt internet users overall IMHO however.

-Todd

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net