funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] preserve your privacy and avoid reliance on flawed systems (was: Dispute Credit Card Charges at Your Peril)

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 01:55:32 +0100 (BST)

I don't use ATM's, because I can't imagine how they could possibly work.

i used to withdraw cash twice a month in large sums directly from the
bank.  my wife absolutely hates doing this for security purposes and
holes burned in her pockets, so i've given in to debit from ATM's.

(win some, lose some :)

My wife gets cash from the supermarket. I get by with whatever falls out
of her handbag.

true; i love being able to preserve my sanity (no tedious / unwanted
interruptions) more than i appreciate the privacy aspect.  some of my
friends regularly turn theirs off for this reason as well.

And ... see if you can beat this ... I don't wear a wristwatch, and I'll
leave you to make wild inaccurate guesses about why.

that's funny.  you're one of the few other people i've talked to who
does this.  my friends give me crap about it, and strangers look at me
funny when they ask for the time and i have to say "no idea" or
"around X".

i quit wearing watches because they were annoying and i like not
feeling time pressure unless i choose to.  your rationale?

About 20 years ago, I was getting wrist pains while typing, which really
worried me, because what use is a programmer who can't type? And then I
noticed that I was taking off my wristwatch to type, because it felt more
comfortable, so I decided to leave it off altogether for a while, to see
if it helped. My wrist pains cleared up (I have no idea if the wristwatch
played any part in that), but I discovered that it was actually very very
rare that I needed to know the right time, and was out of sight of a
clock. So I just stopped wearing a wristwatch. That was 20 years ago;
wearing one now would feel "wrong".