funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] preserve your privacy and avoid reliance on flawed systems (was: Dispute Credit Card Charges at Your Peril)

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:45:10 -0400

i also don't have a cell phone, but that's a different kind of
profiling by a different kind of agency. :)

i'm not a luddite (i use computers and other technology extensively
for professional and social purposes (even met my wife on
irc-2.mit.edu)) but i have a severe aversion to fundamentally flawed
systems which are unreliable and an invasion of my privacy.

i prefer to spend my time working on solutions that are trustworthy
and reliable which could supplant these flawed infrastructures (to
some degree) rather than contributing to their ongoing existence.

has anyone else simply 'checked out' from these systems, finding them
not worth the hassle?  i've avoided all of the above since mid 2000
and haven't looked back since.

Me too, but for different reasons.

My wife just abandoned customer loyalty cards because they are now
credit
cards, and use chip and pin, and she has to A) either use the same pin
everywhere (bad idea) or B)  she has to write them down (not too good)
or
C) remember them all. I never did use them.

I don't use ATM's, because I can't imagine how they could possibly work.

I use cash except over the internet, in which case I use a credit card,
because I can always repudiate any transaction, and the merchant is
helpless. And I read my cc statement each month. I don't use debit cards

because you don't get that protection.

I don't use mobile phones, because I really don't like the idea that
anyone can interrupt what I'm doing wherever I am and demand to talk to
me
(I also rarely give out my landline phone number).

And ... see if you can beat this ... I don't wear a wristwatch, and I'll

leave you to make wild inaccurate guesses about why.

--> Wow, sounds like we're somewhat alike.

        I do use a Credit card, for the same reasons that you stated.
      I only recently (within this year) got a debit card only because
my bank offers the same protection as my credit cards, with the benefit
of not having to pay interest.  And it's free with my bank account.
        Mobile phone I'm kinda stuck with for the office, unfortuneatly
      I too don't wear a watch, people think I'm nuts, but heck there
are clocks all over the place, why bother wearing a watch too?

  Mike B