funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Laptop Stolen From D.C. Home With Personal Data of 13, 000

From: Gary Warner <gar () askgar com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:31:09 -0500

Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

When, oh when, will there be fines levied against idiots or idiot companies that allow people to bring personal,
customer data home on laptops and they get stolen......

 Oh happy will be the day.  Maybe we'll see this insanity stop!  Stop the insanity!  Serenity now!

Probably it will come right after the day where companies and
governments hire an adequate number of properly skilled and motivated
people to get the job done during the 40 hour work week at the office.
I'm happy to give the boss another four hours a day, but only if they
are at my house after I have dinner with my family and put my wife and
kids to bed right.

Most managers are HAPPY to bend the rules about what goes home on a
laptop if it means 20 hours a week extra work from a top employee.

Sad but true.  Does your corporation have a data classification system
that would flag customer personal data and make it obvious when it was
leaving the building?  Most do not.

_-_
gar