funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Laptop Stolen From D.C. Home With Personal Data of 13, 000

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:32:00 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

 When, oh when, will there be fines levied against idiots or idiot
companies that allow people to bring personal, customer data home on
laptops and they get stolen......

When, oh when, will people stop regarding knowledge of someone's ssn
as proof of identity? That's getting towards like knowing someone's
email address as proof of identity.

"Who are you?" Alan Solomon
"Prove it by giving your email address" drsolly () drsolly com
"OK, that's fine, here's the cash you wanted."

  Oh happy will be the day.  Maybe we'll see this insanity stop!  Stop
the insanity!  Serenity now!

Which insanity is this? The insanity of assuming that accountants know
anything about computers or security and therefore have the wit to require
employees to use an encrypted file system, or the insanity of assuming
that knowing someone's ssn, proves that they are who they say they are?

I might as well put up my SSN on a web page along with all my other
information and be done with it....

That's a sensible idea. If everyone did that, alongside email address,
phone number and other contact details, maybe people would stop assuming
that knowledge of SSN proves identity.

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580