funsec mailing list archives

Re: An OCR plug-in for Spamassassin

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:07:16 -0600

On 4/16/06, der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca> wrote:
At the risk of helping the scumbag spammers, imagine what you could
easily achieve with overlaid images each with a large-ish area of
transparency and partial representation of each letter.

Just means you have to render the whole mail before OCRing, rather than
trying to OCR the individual images.

Does anyone know how CPU intensive would it be to OCR the amount of
messages a large corporation receives in one day? I seem to remember
omnipage taking a bit of the cycles when it was running and even
though the OCR systems in development will be a sight better, I am
still curious if this technology will at first end up being a possible
DoS before it matures.

-JP