funsec mailing list archives

Re: University of South Carolina e-Mail Compromises StudentIDs

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:13:02 +0200

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 05:07:57 +0200, Black Ops Security <x () blackopssec com> wrote: I shouldn't reply; but for Loki's sake this is getting ridiculous. Before I go and explain why it's related to InfoSec, I will make one point:

It's called a firearm. A gun is something you use to blow holes in walls. It's a word that should join words like "got" and "stuff" in the never to be used formally area.

Now, the whole issue about firearm regulation is about risk management: how do we reduce the risk that an incident should not result in an illegal loss of life? The UK view was/is that putting tight regulation on the use and ownership of firearms is a sensible mitigation factor. Note, the UK does not ban firearms - both my mother and brother are licensed to transport firearms and take ranges; I used to be within the top 500 shots for full-bore rifles in the UK; farmers can still own shotguns etc.

Anybody can kill another human with any weapon (even their thumbs). The aim is to reduce the 'red-mist descends' opportunity which takes many lives. Firearms *are* dangerous - they offer a disjunction between the action and the result, the mitigator is appropiate training into handling and the effects. Just like you need a licence and a test to drive a car, you should pass a certain standard ere you can own and use firearms.

Using country stereotypes, posting links to obvious idiots (who can't even read history books), posting links to google where you get an out of context article and blogs discussing it, using statistics out of context without regarding other factors are *not* constructive and do little to progress a discussion other than seeming like you're bickering like school children.

So to sum up and try and kill the thread, so that we can get onto taking the piss out of Oracle/Microsoft/Cisco's security:
1. The UK system has strong regulation on firearms.
2. The US system has weak regulation on firearms.
3. Both countries have problems with violent crime.
4. There are parts in both countries I wouldn't go after dark.

Finish. Argument over: it's getting circular.

dave