funsec mailing list archives

Re: funsec Digest, Vol 8, Issue 100

From: Dan Renner <dan () losangelescomputerhelp com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:45:21 -0700

funsec-request () linuxbox org wrote:

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:02:27 -0400
From: "KF (lists)" <kf_lists () digitalmunition com>
Subject: Re: [funsec] Daughter's computer
To: "'Funsec@Linuxbox. Org'" <funsec () linuxbox org>

Can you elaborate on this? How exactly do they "use IE code" in a manor that would put a user at risk? If it is an issue I would imagine Symantec and or McAfee would be receptive to correcting the behavior.
-KF

(I highly suggest NOT using Norton or McAfee as they both use IE code, thus are themselves vulnerable.)
Try to install either one on a Win2K machine with IE removed (using IEradicator, etc.) - you can't do it. They both depend on IE code to run. (So does QuickBooks - I love that one.)

As for elaborating on the use (or dependance) of IE code in any manor as being vulnerable, how did you end up on this list? :-)

Sincerely,

Dan Renner
President
Los Angeles Computerhelp