funsec mailing list archives

RE: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:21:16 -0400

And yes, I know about this topic -- see recent article:

Yes, thanks to "Blue Boar" I see that they have changed the
bundling regulations... however, I read the article and it
seems that Verizon is complaining that you're not letting it
do business?

Yes, in the "multichannel video programming distributor" market.

If that's true, who are you doing business with?

RCN (formerly StarPower) and Comcast have the franchise agreement that
lets them sell wired TV service to Montgomery County residents.

[Getting back to the topic of the thread...]

Who is Verizon's competitor for non-cell service on the east coast of

the U.S.?

Non-cell is a wide area of services, and not living there I couldn't
tell you. I know that here the local loop is mostly SBC/AT&T -
but I can and do get service from MCI, Sprint, Qwest, etc..

Ah, so your local loop provides DSL/analog connectivity to your house.
Can MCI/Sprint/Qwest/etc provide the same connectivity? If not, has
SBC/AT&T stated that they won't perform QoS limiting on "partner"
companies such as MCI/Sprint/Qwest/etc that use SBC/AT&T for access into
your home?

This is the crux of the problem -- broadband access is currently
provided by DSL (telcos), cable modem (cable), highspeed wireless
(telcos), and satellite companies. Since 3 out of the 4 are currently
against net neutrality, we won't have many/any options to let supply and
demand work correctly. Therefore, you won't be able to pick your choice
of providers that want net neutrality.

Comcast not providing VoIP or broadband?

Doesn't matter. Comcast is against net neutrality.

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland