funsec mailing list archives

RE: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:13:27 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, David Harley wrote:

I've noticed a lot of bad feeling against the AV companies.

Yep. I've not been totally uncritical of the industry ;-) but
I think there's a very serious gap between what it's really
like and how it's perceived. Can't do right for doing wrong. :(

Hey, you're right to be critical. But some of the criticisms I've seen,
are totally unfair:

 - They actually write the viruses
 - They hype up the problem
 - They deliberately rely on an update-needing technology
 - They've had 20 years to solve the problem, and they haven't yet
 - They should employ virus authors because virus authors are all geniuses