funsec mailing list archives

RE: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 19:48:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Drsolly wrote:

: > Yep. I've not been totally uncritical of the industry ;-) but
: > I think there's a very serious gap between what it's really
: > like and how it's perceived. Can't do right for doing wrong. :(
:
: Hey, you're right to be critical. But some of the criticisms I've seen,
: are totally unfair:

"Totally" unfair? How can you say that about some of these?

:  - They actually write the viruses

There are cases where AV employees have written viruses.

:  - They hype up the problem

No clue how you can possibly argue this point, i'd love to hear it.

:  - They deliberately rely on an update-needing technology

Can anyone quote some stats for the AV industry on their income as far as
new product sales vs income from re-occuring revenue via
subscription/update services?

:  - They've had 20 years to solve the problem, and they haven't yet
:  - They should employ virus authors because virus authors are all geniuses

Both of these are very true as far as criticism leveled at the
industry, and very unfair.