funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] US expands visitor fingerprinting to deter attacks

From: Dave Dittrich <dittrich () u washington edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 12:39:07 -0700

You think *that's* bad!  I caught a program on TV last night
about biometrics being used for kids to pay for meals in school.
This way they can get *everyone's* fingerprints by the time they
finish public school!

http://www.biometricgroup.com/in_the_news/01_28_05.html
http://www.findbiometrics.com/article/122
http://www.theopenpress.com/index.php?a=press&id=4059

This last one has an interesting paragraph:

“The system allows for real time inform parents in real time in order to
take action and responsibility for their son’s or daughter’s absence
from school,” said Youval Rasin, Joint CEO of BioGuard. “After only five
months in our Singapore locations, schools are reporting high
satisfaction from the use of the system. We expect more schools in
Singapore, the UK and USA to join the initiative and install the system.
The system could be connected to the school portal for overall
convenience of all parties. We listen to our customers and continue to
develop the product and other solutions for day-to-day life, convenience
and safety.”

Fergie wrote:
You think that's bad?

"Finger Scanning At Disney Parks Causes Concern"
http://www.local6.com/news/4724689/detail.html

Fsck off, Mickey. :-)

- ferg

From:                 "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date sent:            Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:12:22 -0400

Does anyone know what happens to the fingerprint images of the folks
who are not
considered "terrorists"?  Are the images still retained in a database for
possible future matching?

And, since terrorists sometimes operate in airports, then all
fingerprints of people
who go through airports will be retained, and compared against ...

(I think I need to go lie down, now.)

Honestly, my first thought on reading this was that it was some kind of
hoax ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The best of seers is he who guesses well.                - Euripedes
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net

--
Dave Dittrich                          Information Assurance Researcher,
dittrich () u washington edu              The iSchool

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5