funsec mailing list archives

Re: Vendors's DUMB question

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:01:19 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Kevin McAleavey wrote:

I'm almost embarassed to ask this one as we haven't had a corporate
customer in EONS still using NT 3.x or 4.x on their networks, but
figgered I'd put this out to others who deal with curmudgeon customers
in hopes of finding out if there's still any "NT" users alive out there?

I still use NT 4. Because the MS backup [rogram that runs on NT4 is better
than those that came later. More importantly, it's *different*, and I want
to be able to restore several-year-old backups.

 Reason for the question is I maintain antimalware code that has
retained a number of compatibilities going all the way back to WFW 3.11
which out products STILL support. Secondary reason is that the only way
to gather antimalware data from a victim (or potential victim) machine
was the use of those almost useless PSAPI library calls since NT never
supported the more modern IE-based "shill stuph." Over the years with
Microsoft's varied divergences, keeping ONE executable that would run on
"Windows ANYTHING" has gotten more and more complex. I'm thinking
splitting off the code into separate 9x, NT-progeny (and thus the "NT
question I ask) and of course 64 bit stuff which we're already handling
as well.

 Code just keeps getting messier and messier. If there's like NO
userbase left in the "NT world," then that allows me to do some serious
axe-swinging and get rid of a lot of useless code in our software. But
since I've been at this for ten years now and every time we'd polled
customers in the past as to dropping "NT" code, we'd get "we still have
people running that."

There's one right here, but I don't use your software.

 Is it STILL true?   :(