funsec mailing list archives

Re: Vendors's DUMB question

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:50:53 -0400

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:47:06 EDT, Kevin McAleavey said:
for ten years now and every time we'd polled customers in the past as to
dropping "NT" code, we'd get "we still have people running that."

So ask them (and yourself) the obvious follow-on questions:

"Will it be a show-stopper if our product supports 11,997 of your 12K
users, but fails to support those 3 NT users?"

"How much extra are you willing to pay for NT support?"

"If you're concerned enough about malware to pay for an anti-malware
product, why are you still running NT?  What are you doing for security
patches, and how do you know the boxes aren't pwned already?"

(for yourself) "Do I sell enough NT licenses that they actually pay for the
added support costs, or am I spending $100K a year in supporting something
that I only get $10K in generated revenue?"

 Is it STILL true?   :(

The important question isn't whether it's still true, but whether it's
still true in great enough numbers to matter to your balance sheet.