funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Microsoft hands out 'private' folders

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:36:44 -0400

Microsoft hands out 'private' folders

By Dawn Kawamoto

<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+hands+out+private+folders/2100-1012_3-6092153
.html>
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+hands+out+private+folders/2100-1012_3-6092153.
html

Story last modified Mon Jul 10 12:46:54 PDT 2006

<http://adlog.com.com/adlog/i/r=6463&s=651499&t=2006.07.11.11.48.32&o=1001:1
012:&h=cn&p=2&b=5&l=en_US&site=3&pt=2102&nd=1012&pid=&cid=6092153&pp=100&rqi
d=00c17-ad-e344AE80E42F817B5/http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/dotclear.
gif>

Microsoft has introduced Private Folder 1.0, free software that lets people
store sensitive data on their home or work computers in a password-protected
folder.

<http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fgenuine%2F
offers%2FDetails.aspx%3Fdisplaylang%3Den%26countrycode%3DUSA%26offerid%3D441
c2998-248b-49cf-b084-f3a237b58f71&siteId=3&oId=2102-1012_3-6092153&ontId=100
1&lop=nl.ex> Private Folder 1.0, which is saved to a person's desktop, aims
to shield private data from others when they have access to someone's
computer or account. The potential fallout from IT administrators remains to
be seen, should their colleagues opt to hide sensitive data in a private,
password-protected folder. Microsoft does not offer support for the
software.

"Private Folder 1.0 is a useful tool...to protect your private data when
friends, colleagues, kids or other people share your PC or account," the
software giant said in its announcement.

People who want to download the software are first required to run their
computers through the Windows Genuine Advantage program. The
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+faces+second+WGA+lawsuit/2100-1014_3-6090651.
html?tag=nl> controversial antipiracy tool is designed to verify that people
have a legitimate copy of Microsoft Windows.

Those using the software also must have Windows XP Home Edition,
Professional Edition or Media Center Edition, with Service Pack 2. The
software also needs a high-resolution Super VGA video adapter and monitor to
work properly.

Some observers are raising concerns about the potential headaches Private
Folder may create for IT administrators.

"Oh great, have they even thought about the impact this could have on
enterprises. I'm already trying to frantically find information on this
product so that A) I can block to all our desktops and B) figure out how we
then support it when users inevitably lose files. I can see the benefit in
this product for home users, but it's a bit of a sloppy release by
Microsoft," said an individual named Stuart Graham in a posting on
<http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msblog.org%2F%3Fp%3D886%23
comments&siteId=3&oId=/Microsoft+faces+second+WGA+lawsuit/2100-1014_3-609065
1.html&ontId=1001&lop=nl.ex> MSBlog, a site related to Windows Server 2003.

Another individual, Daniel Goldleaf, said on MSBlog that companies should
have terms of usage for corporate PCs that instruct employees not to
download software onto their systems.

"If they install (Private Folder), uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs,"
Goldleaf added.

Copyright <http://www.cnet.com/aboutcnet/0-13611-7-811029.html?tag=ft>
C1995-2006 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.