funsec mailing list archives

RE: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 06:52:26 -0400

I'm going to agree with you, largely. It's important to look at this as a
business issue and ask whose interests "neutrality" serves.

For me it all began quite a while ago, probably a couple of years, when a
friend of mine who's a telecom analyst told me that the RBOCs were going
around bragging about how they could use QoS to degrade the quality of
specific providers' traffic. He was basically talking about VoIP here: SBC
in particular was incensed that someone like Vonage could come onto their
network and hog bandwidth. SBC, IIRC, was talking about charging fees to
those providers to raise their quality.

With respect to stuff like streaming movies I see their interest, but the
legitimate other side of the coin is that by now probably over 50% of
Internet traffic in the US travels over Verizon and/or AT&T lines, and they
are talking about using QoS to impede competitors operating on their
network. Should

So I think there are legitimate business interests on both sides.

LJS