funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:05:24 -0400

On 7/6/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
Quotes of relevance, starting from when he was interrupted:

"I don't think that anyone here has defined what Net Neutrality is."
AT&T/Quest rate limiting packets sent to google.com unless google pays
them more than it already is.

"We've heard that 'we're slipping behind. This bill is designed to let let
us go ahead. To expand the whole concept of communication' and here we have
this one situation where enormous entities want to use the Internet for their
purposes, doing what they are [already] doing now!"
This bill is designed to follow through on some bribes made by the NSA
when convincing telco's they should spy on us and not tell anyone.

"The Internet is not something that you just dump something on, it's not a
big truck. It's tubes!"
Actually its TCP/IP over Copper,  Fiber, and wireless transmissions.

"We have a separate Department of Defense network now, do you know
why? Because they have to get their [information] delievered immediately,
they can't afford to be delayed by other people. The security of the
United States requires a separate network for defense."
No, they have a separate DoD network due to security concerns

"I think these people are arguing over whether they can dump all this
stuff on the Internet. Maybe they are to build a network themselves, maybe
there is a place for a commercial net."
This is the only point that may be valid, but if it is, Comcast and
AT&T ARE the commercial net, considering you have to pay to reach it.
Inet2.edu is the Educational one, and LambdaRail/SLR is the research
one :-)

"The whole concept is [that] we should not go into this until someone
shows there is something that's been done that really is a violation of
that neutrality."
The fact that they say they want to charge more for services already
purchased IS proof of their intent to violate their TOS.

"No, I'm not finished. I've listened for quite some time!"
too bad, he should STFU, he is in govt and therefore a moron, and
should be spoken at and not listened to

"Those people who want to support these things are the people who want to
use the Internet for the end use of their profit, not for the consumer."
So if I share a .torrent of a linux distro, I am doing this for profit?

"They are charging in effect [for] what they are [already] delivering."
They are charging three times for what they are already delivering
(first two are the consumer and the provider)

"I think network security [and] independence are absolutely essential."
Thats why we have VPN's or tiny Private internets running across the
bigger Internet, As for the independance, maybe more than 13 DNS
servers would be a good idea  ;-)

"The wrong regulatory approach, and posing an heavy-handed regulation
before there is a demonstrated need, is wrong."
Yeah, we shouldn't regulate Enron until after Ken Lay dies

"You are asking for regulation."
Yes, because Business will destroy a good thing unless we do. See:
Hostile takeover and dismantling, electric cars, etc

"The people who are streaming for 12 movies at a time or whole books at a
time are not you and me, They are not the consumers, they're providers."
Who are they streaming the movies to? empty space? I think its
Consumers. Parties at BOTH ends have already paid for their access.
The problem is that the ISP's oversold their pipes (eg I hook up a
3750 and sell 24 1Gbps pipes when I only have a 1Gbps uplink)

"These providers use the Internet as a delivery service rather than
communication."
Or they use it to deliver communications. Books and Movies are another
way to communicate intricate ideas to an audience. The broadband
Internet IS more than PSTN was, by design. He just wants to use it for
Email, because thats the most complex thing he can handle

-JP