funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:01:30 -0500 (CDT)

Erm, I think we agree dude.

My point is, it is ALL about business, which is why we shouldn't let these
ISP's tell us how to use our lines.

        Gadi.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

On 7/6/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

He nailed down the subject into the point that matters:
Business. It's about profit.

BullShit, the net _can_ be all about profit, but it should be more than that.

Humans currently turn everything people enjoy into a business, but the
fact is business as usual(as it is here in the states at least) is bad
for the continued development of an idea or service.

Music is now a business, and its mostly schlock.

Cars and gasoline are businesses, thats why all the trolleys were
dismantled and also why the electric car was put on the shelf.

Light bulbs are a business and thats why they burn out in a year, even
though they are capable of lasting almost indefinitely.

Energy is a business, thats why .... err you get the idea.

If we let businesses do what businesses do, the Internet will become
nothing but a big AOL landscape, full of schlock.

The net was paid for partly by billions of taxpayer dollars in
incentives (and student tuitions), Why should these monopolies (some
of which were forcably dismanteled and are now buying each other up
again [see at&t and bellsouth] be the only ones in control?

Since you like the Tubes description so much, why not think of the
Internet as a Subway system, which is paid for and maintained by the
Government.

"The whole concept is [that] we should not go into this until someone
shows there is something that's been done that really is a violation of
that neutrality."

I give it a max of 4 years before _proof_ of that comes out. Just wait
till the short term memory of the american public drifts away, then
alter your QoS and blame any service interruptions on "system
failures".

-JP