funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:28:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Brian Loe wrote:
On 7/6/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

Only thing is, the ISP's do get paid, y'know. Yes, this is a business,
pure and simple, but it's also ridiculous to ask for money just because
your light bulb is shiny. Maybe a few will, pay, most will tell you to
stuff it.
:)

        Gadi.

Gee, you just discovered "fee markets"! And just since you penned this
reply they've created an entire wiki entry for you to expound upon
your discovery further. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_markets

I can tell already that this won't be obvious enough for some, to
spell it out: if they'd tell me to stuff it on my shiny bulb, they're
almost guaranteed to tell me to stuff it on my QoS uses as well,
unless that use is to their advantage. A free market allows for a
company to attempt such ideas and fail or succeed on the idea's merit
and resonance with the company's customers.

So we are in agreement. Duh.