funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:59:23 -0400

On 7/6/06, Dennis Henderson <hendomatic () gmail com> wrote:

> If this issue degrades to a free market vs communism debate, then we
> have lost the ability to communicate because most have already made up
> their mind and are unwilling to change it.
>
> If you think that letting businesses police themselves is a valid
> option, then nothing I can say will change your mind. Enjoy your
> electric car, secure operating systems, and cancer cures.

I drive a big frickin F-150 and get 17mpg. No electric cars for me. I know
the costs of driving this 6500 pound truck and accept them.

Like the melting polar ice caps?

Your statement doesnt make sense as its business PROFIT that get us cures
for cancer, parkinson's, and other maladies. I cannot find anywhere in the
Constitution or other such legislation where its the goverment's role to
ensure that cancer cures are found.

Can you imagine how fast new drugs to treat disease would come to market if
the FDA didnt have such an (extortion) system to approve the drugs? You
wonder why a dose of some drugs costs > $100 pill?  Because it costs the
drug company years of time and millions of dollars to fund mandatory FDA
studies for the drug safety.

Thats bunk. Phizer pays billions more in marketing than they do in research.

-JP