funsec mailing list archives

RE: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:12:43 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Larry Seltzer wrote:

There is a more scientific way of measuring real proactive detection
of AV products on future malware - it is called "proactive testing" or
"retrospective testing". The idea is to measure, say, 3-month old AV
product against real field viruses that appeared within these last 3
months.

I think "retrospective" is the apt term; "proactive" doesn't fit the
definition. This tells you how good your product was 3 months ago. I do
agree it gives you a better picture of how good your product was at that
point than testing fake viruses does today, but clearly it's not the
same thing. It also requires you to collect a large and representative
sample of malware, which can be hard to do if you're not in the business
full-time.

I've been in the position of testing heuristic AV protection and what CR
did is very tempting. I considered it and was talked out of it. The
alternatives weren't very good.

I don't find it remotely tempting. Never mind about the ethical issues, it
just isn't going to do the job.