funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Swiss Government Investigates VoIP Tapping

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:21:06 GMT

...and planting software on a "suspect's" computer.

Via the F-Secure "News from the Lab" blog.

[snip]

The Swiss Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and
Communications (UVEK) has started an investigation to determine the
possibility of using software to tap VoIP phone calls.

A software prototype to do this has been developed by ERA IT solutions.
It doesn't seem that the software would decypt any of the VoIP traffic
itself. The software is a client side application that would listen to
the computer's microphone and speakers to record the VoIP calls. The
recordings made would be passed back in small packages over the
Internet to the police authority. Two solutions to install the software
on a suspect's machine have been presented. The first - police covertly
install it locally. The second - the suspect's Internet service
provider installs it remotely over Internet. How the later solution
would be implemented is unknown to us.

F-Secure will most likely add detection for this software if we find it
used in the wild. We have previously made a statement about government
developed spying programs.

[snip]

More:
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00000991