funsec mailing list archives

Re: Revenge of the Nerds

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 03:25:55 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
Drsolly wrote:

AV researchers have been getting such "abuse" from virus writers almost
since there were "AV researchers"...

Right - some weasel put my phone number into a virus, that was 16 years
ago.

The most well-known one targetting me contains the author message:

   Nick "The Love Monkey" Virus Package by ALT-F4 and ALT-F11 for the
   Alternative Virus Mafia

and sends Email mesages from victim machines to what was my address as
thaVirus Bulletin editor that say:

   Dear Nicky... my name is <<Application.UserName>> and I want to make
   hot monkey love with you. You anti-virus stud!

These Emails were sent by Outlook via automation (a forerunner to
Melissa) and as the default in Outlook is save a copy of all messages,
I also got quite a few "I have no idea who/how that message was
sent..." Emails.

Back when I was actively "hunting" botnets (hunting was something
different back then), there were about about 3 nicknames of mine set to be
/ignored on IRC by a bot. They were in the top-5. My first two were #1 and
#2 (I think).

Then, the following bots just copied the list and added to it. I am not
sure if the whole ignoring bit was given as positive feedback.

        Gadi.