funsec mailing list archives

Yellow Dog Linux on the PlayStation 3

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 06:49:37 -0500

An older post to be sure, but  if I havent read it, its new to me :-)
------------

from: http://arstechnica.com/articles/columns/linux/linux-20061018.ars

Yellow Dog Linux on the PlayStation 3

By Ryan Paul

Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Teaching a new dog old tricks

Linux distributor Terra Soft has announced that its Yellow Dog Linux
5.0 (YDL) product will run on the Playstation 3. Derived from Fedora
Core 5, YDL is a complete Linux distribution optimized for the PPC
architecture. The upcoming YDL 5.0 release will feature "a simple
installer [that] enables absolutely anyone to install without
instruction" and the Enlightenment e17 desktop environment "in order
to provide an unprecedented level of function and interface
aesthetic." YDL 5.0 for the PS3 is scheduled for release next month,
and a version for Apple's old PowerPC hardware will be released later
this year.